Monday, February 9, 2015

Not All Wedding Cakes Look the Same

It has flowers and lace just like a traditional wedding cake...and...um...a few skulls.  Each couple has their own way of celebrating their special day and I'm flattered that I was asked to make this unique wedding cake.  I wish them a wonderful, long, happy life together!

This two tier cake is chocolate and vanilla with buttercream, covered in marshmallow fondant.  The skulls are hand painted fondant.  The flowers are a mix of fondant and gumpaste.  The lace is hand piped with royal icing.  To achieve the dark black color on the roses and hat, I painted them with black food coloring after drying.  Parts of the cake are also brushed with bronze luster dust.
Painting the Skulls

Update: Coordinating cookies were made for the reception held at a later date.  You can see more here.
http://sarahsaving.blogspot.com/2015/07/weddings-weddings.html

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sarah my best friend has asked me to recreate your wedding cake for her. What template did u use for the skull please as having trouble finding a similar one many thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I didn't save my reference photos. I used a few different photos for ideas and then hand painted the skulls on fondant.

      Delete